Monday, October 4, 2010

"1-0"

So, I have been on the this side (California) for two months now, and I honestly don't know where to begin. Thus far, this experience has had more lows and highs than I can express, but I will do my best.

When I initially touched down, my perspective on my decision was completely positive. I had no doubt that moving across town was the right thing for me. Why? Because, being in my position, I felt that any doubt that crossed my mind would only cloud my ability to make decisions while moving forward. Basically, being scared wasn't an option. So I did it...and I didn't look back for a second. And now, two months removed, I must admit, I didn't expect so much so fast...to the point that my perspective on this journey has transformed. I learn something new everyday. Here are a couple lessons I'd like to share:

First and foremost; things change when you make them. Before I left, I wasn't happy. I wanted something different for myself. I had dreams and aspirations that were impossible to reach in my environment. So, I moved...and now, I experience change every day. My mind has changed. My friends have changed. My family has grown, etc. The key is, my dream has not budged. Don't get me wrong, this shit IS NOT easy! It's work...a lot of work. And at times, I have had to remind myself that struggle is expected. My mom used to say, "Don't think things are going to be easy. Nobody owes you anything. Expect it to be hard, so that you are always on top." These days, those words are real to me. I have struggled in ways that I will never expose, but I have also laughed in rooms alone. Therefore, I believe these changes, no matter how low or high, are preparation for a next step.

One of my boys told me that his goal everyday is to finish "1-0". That concept stuck with me so strong, that when I began experiencing all of the changes in my life, I adopted my own motto. Now, with every hurdle I overcome, no matter how minor the accomplishment is, I mark it: "today down, tomorrow to go".
I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, so I plan on winning today, then tomorrow, everyday, until I am satisfied.

PS: My eyes are wider than ever...

-League

3 comments: